You should focus on eating to perform. Think of your body like a Ferrari. You want it to go fast and perform, so you need use put premium quality fuel for it to do so. Same thing stands for your body. If you put junk inside, you'll see poor performance and won't access the potential that's inside of you, the Ferrari.
Here's our very simple guidelines:
1) DRINK WATER - Keep a water bottle with you throughout the day and sip whenever thirsty. Cut out pop, fruit drinks, juice, except for special occasions
2) Eat three good meals, with clean snacks when needed
3) EAT LOTS OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES - Anything Green is great for you in this category, as well as blueberries, pomegranates, apples, and oranges
4) Limit Starchy Carbs and Refined Sugars / Junk Food
- Bread, Pasta, Chips, Potatoes, White Rice, Crackers, Doughnuts and Pastries, Chocolate, Sugar Candy, Candy Bars
Good Carbs (Fiber) - Long Grain Brown Rice, Quinoa, Oatmeal, Fruits
5) Consume lots of clean protein at every meal, first thing in the morning, immediately after a workout, and right before bed (small portion)
- Chicken, Eggs, Fish, Turkey, Lean Red Meat, Skim Fat Free Milk, Greek Yogurt, Beef Jerkey, Low Sugar Peanut Butter, Quinoa, Low Fat Cheese, Whey Protein Isolate Powder
* For Vegetarians/Vegans there are many soy alternatives and lots of plant-based protein programs you can find online
6) Consume lots of good fats
- Fish, almonds and nuts, avocados, coconut
That's it! Stick to foods that fit within this list and you'll be filling your body with the best fuel it needs to look good, feel good, and operate at it's peak performance!